Teacher Web Pages
Return to Main Menu
The History of Brenham Elementary School
In 1953, eight acres of land was purchased to build an elementary school in Brenham, Texas. This land was located between Church Street and Market Street, the current location of Alton Elementary. The land was purchased in hopes of constructing an additional school to support a growing community and replace the Alamo School (pictured below.)
In 1954, a $300,000.00 bond was passed to build the original Brenham Elementary School to house students in first through seventh grades. In 1957, construction was completed on Brenham Elementary and the building consisted of 24 classrooms, a cafeteria-administrative building, and a library at a total cost of $273,378.24.
The school quickly grew as the district increased in size and additional construction was completed in 1958 (a Band Hall), 1971 (6 semi-portable classrooms for Kindergarten and a covered walkway), and 1974 (12 new classrooms, air conditioning, and renovation of existing structures.) During this time, the Alamo School continued to be used to house various groups such as second graders, special education students, and various district offices.
In 2004, voters approved a $10 million bond to fund the construction of the current Brenham Elementary campus located at 1000 W. Blue Bell Road. Trustees awarded the contract for the 82,000 square-foot facility erected by Collier Construction of Brenham and designed by Bay Architects of Houston. Our beautiful campus opened doors to students in August 2006.
Mailing: PO Box 1147 | Physical: 711 E. Mansfield | Brenham, TX 77834-1147 | Phone: 979-277-3700 | Fax: 979-277-3701
COPYRIGHT © 2016 - BRENHAM INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISCTRICT